Thursday, February 14, 2013

National Flag of Canada Day



Shar     
     February 15 was declared National Flag of Canada Day in 1996. It marks the day in 1965 when our red and white maple leaf flag was first raised over Parliament Hill in Ottawa, and indeed, hundreds of communities across Canada. Red and white were designated as Canada's official colours in 1921 by His Majesty King George V. 
    I am old enough to remember when this wasn't Canada's flag. One day I was looking at my grade one scrapbook that my mom had saved and passed along to me. On one page there was a Union Jack flag which I had colored and glued in with LePage's mucilage. But today we have glue sticks and a wonderful flag that is recognized around the world.
                              
                                        Our Flag. Our Pride. Celebrate it!
                                      Happy National Flag of Canada Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valued. I read every one of them. (In fact I often go back and reread them.) They really do make my day! Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to write to me.